Stony Brook University
Ranked one of the top 100 universities in the nation and one of the top 50 public universities by U.S.News & World Report, Stony Brook University is the smart choice for your higher education.
A degree from Stony Brook, an institution with award-winning faculty, accomplished students, rigorous and innovative academic programs, significant research opportunities, and a proven track record of successful alumni opens doors to countless career possibilities.
At Stony Brook, you’ll find what you’re looking for, and with support from students and faculty who will challenge and inspire you.
Study marine science on the coast of the Atlantic. Create the cutting edge in our College of Engineering and Applied Sciences. Take a unique approach to business, journalism and sustainability studies. Indulge your love of art, literature and music, or delve into physics, astronomy and biology. We offer more than 200 academic programs.
Enjoy lectures, art exhibitions, movies, concerts, theatrical performances and cultural events on campus. Find a club that’s right for you. Make a difference by volunteering on campus or in the community. Or play intramural sports and stay fit in our Campus Recreation Center.
Want to explore? The beach is your new backyard, and New York City is easily accessible from a railroad station right on campus.
Visit our Undergraduate Admissions Website for more information.
- Spring: November 1
- Fall: Janaury 15 (first-year applicants); March 1 (transfers)
Required Application Materials
- Coalition Application
- $50 Application Fee or Fee Waiver
- One recommendation (two required for honors programs)
- High School Transcript
- Standardized test results, including either the SAT or the ACT
We offer a variety of experiences and programs that will challenge and inspire our most academically talented students:
- Honors College: High-achieving students enjoy innovative seminars, small classes, leadership opportunities, and the social and academic atmosphere of a small liberal arts college within a major university.
- University Scholars: A vibrant four-year honors program for high achieving students focused around academic excellence, leadership development, and community engagement.
- Women in Science and Engineering (WISE): Women who are interested in mathematics, the sciences, and engineering benefit from a close-knit community of talented scholars, mentoring, small study groups, early hands-on research, special classes and enrichment programs, and close faculty contact.
- Scholars for Medicine and Dental Medicine: Integrated eight-year Bachelor/M.D. and Bachelor/D.D.S. options offered to a very select group of fall freshman applicants.
Learn more about these and other programs for high-achieving students on our Website.
Financial Aid and Scholarships
Stony Brook is one of the most affordable top-ranked universities in the nation.
Stony Brook is committed to excellence. We offer high-achieving students a variety of merit scholarships, including special scholarships to Intel Science Talent Search and National Merit Scholarship Competition finalists and semifinalists, valedictorians and salutatorians. Apply early for fullest consideration of scholarship support.
To apply for federal and New York State aid, complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at fafsa.ed.gov. Enter Stony Brook’s federal school code (002838). Enter Stony Brook’s New York State code (0875) on the Express Tuition Assistance Program Application for New York State residents.